Thursday, July 7, 2011

Post #2- Second Life Welcome and Avatar

This is Kalysia, my Second Life character.  After much toil and perhaps an hour spent trying to come up with a name that was not taken, she has come to life.  Basically she's relatively normal, although influenced by the 'darker' side.  Her outfit happens to be called "gothic," which I think is relatively appropriate.  She is rather nondescript at the moment, aside from her long white shirt and elegant black jacket she wears over it.  And, of course, knee-high black boots.  Oh yes, and her purple eyes--how could we forget those!  I hope, at some point, to make her more exciting!

I had a lot of trouble downloading the newest version of Second Life, though I managed to download a slightly older version, which apparently works the same as the newest version.  The SL Viewer 2 continuously crashes.  When I eventually got a viewer downloaded, I meandered through the Welcome Center.

The Welcome Center Island is very well detailed and simple to follow--especially for us inept at video games (and especially their cameras!)  I found it easy to follow the various instructions and to get a grasp on certain actions, such as flying and maneuvering the camera for the right angles.  I particularly find the control panels, such as the right-click wheel, particularly useful and easy to navigate.

I was surprised that the welcome tour was so short, and I was disappointed by the last section about the maps.  I've been trying--since completing the tour--to navigate throughout the world, but I keep hitting snags when attempting to locate various locations on the map.  It would have been nice if the tour was a bit more helpful when it came to that bit of information.


No comments:

Post a Comment