Thursday, July 7, 2011

Post #1- About Me

As with any introductory post, I suppose it's best to start with the basics.

My name is Emily and I am going to be entering my second year of the Masters of Arts in English program here at Clemson University.  I'm 23 years old and am originally from South Florida, though have been living here in the upstate for the past four years.  As far as a focus goes within the English program, I am mainly a creative writing person, though I have a rather large love of the publishing world.  Eventually, one day, I would like to run a small publishing house and experiment with new ways of publishing novels.  After completing the Masters program, I am hoping to be admitted into the RCID program here at Clemson.

I have to say, when I saw that this class was being offered, I was extremely excited.  I've been an avid gamer for well over nine years, but within a totally different capacity.  I play forum-based RPGs that are entirely text based.  Basically, in those games, a world is set up in message board form with locations, and the game runs as a play by post.  For example, here is a link to a forum-based game I had created: Exquisite RPG.  It has only been recently that I have started to play console games.  Currently, I am in the middle of Dragon Age, and let me say, it is highly difficult (for me at least!).  

But anyway, I am so very excited to see how this class will work, as first, it is a completely different format from anything I am used to, and secondly, because I think video games can be used as learning tools and it's a good thing to be aware of if I end up teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment